Obstructed Airway - Unconscious
- Stabilize cervical spine if potential for injury exists.
- If the patient has no breathing or agonal gasps, begin CPR, starting with compressions.
- Continue 2 minute cycles of CPR (30:2 for the adult, 15:2 for the infant and child with more than one rescuer).
- Prior to giving respirations check for an obstructing object. If an object is visualized, remove it.
- Attempt to ventilate.
- If unable to ventilate, repeat above steps until material is dislodged. Suction the patient as needed.
- If patient remains unconscious, transportation by ALS is preferred.
- If the object is dislodged, assess airway, breathing, and circulation. Proceed with appropriate protocol.
- Use of the Magill forceps may be necessary to dislodge objects.